An easy weeknight staple – Tammy Berrington gives us her take on the classic Pasta Bake.
As the nights turn colder, you want healthy comfort foods and this is one of my favourite things to cook on this cold nights. It started from a Slimming World book but I’ve made it my own. The original recipe had peas in it but you are free to add them if you wish.
You don’t have to add the vegetables I have added below, these are just my favourite to add to it. And most importantly, if you don’t like food that is too spicy (after a lot of trial and error with cooking this for family members that don’t like hot food) you can also add mild curry powder instead of chilli flakes.
- 400g dried pasta shapes, such as penne or fusilli
- Low calorie cooking spray
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. dried chilli flakes
- 700g jar passata with onions and garlic
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 aubergine, chopped and diced
- 1 red pepper, chopped and diced
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped and diced
- 130g reduced fat mozzarella, diced
- Basil Herbs
- Oregano Herbs
- Small handful of torn fresh basil leaves, to garnish
- Start by preheating the oven to 160c
- Cook the pasta you have chosen (follow the instructions on the packet) and drain well
- While the pasta is cooking, spray a large non-stick frying pan with low calorie cooking spray and place over a medium. First add the onion, garlic, aubergine, peppers, red onion and chilli and stir for 3-4 minutes or until they have softened. Add the passata, basil herbs and oregano herbs, season to taste.
- Let the passata and vegetables simmer for 2-3 minutes and stir occasionally. After this time, remove from heat
- Empty the cooked and drained pasta into a medium sized baking dish. Pour in the passata and vegetable and toss well to coat all of the pasta. Scatter on the mozzarella and put in the oven for 12-15 minutes
- Grind over a little black pepper, scatter over some basil leaves and serve hot with salad.
Thanks Tammy for sharing your wonderful recipe with us! Make sure you check out Tammy on social media here.